Sunday, September 30, 2007

dreams (2)

i am in the process of moving out of the family home. i am packing stuff up. it is taking ages. there is some problem with the flat i am moving into. i keep trying to get hold of the landlord to see when it is free. he is a friend of my stepmum's. the family home is messy and full of clutter. i still share a room with my sisters. i am getting all my stuff together but keep getting distracted by looking a things. i am putting certain things into a box file to take away with me. i am about to go away on a trip. it turns out later that i am going to russia for some sort of civic visit.

i find my winston churchill medal and put that in the box. i also find a badge that has a cut-out of the trans-siberian railway with a little map showing places like novosibursk, that i bought last time i was in russia. i put this in the box. it seems i am to meet some dignitaries and i want to wear these things on my coat. i find a large wadge of typed papers which is something i have written. it has editing notes all over it and needs sorting out. i try and take out what i need to take but then decide to sort it out later and put the whole lot in.

eventually i have cleared most of my bit of the room. i go into the living room/kitchen and make a phone call to the landlord. finally the flat is ready. i go back into the bedroom and pick up the last few things and move my bed so the others an re-arrange the room. i go down to a utility area which is below the kitchen and put a few things i am not taking there. my stepmum comes down and gives me a hug. she gives me something special to take (i forget this bit already but i think maybe a piece of jewellery or something - not a large item but a special one). i get my keys and say good bye to everyone.

i walk through the city towards the bus station. (i think there was a bit here about getting on a bus and then it being the wrong one but i have forgotten this bit) i start to join a queue for a taxi. there is a market going on and a food stall. it turns out the queue i am in is for the food stall and not the taxis. the people preparing the food are up higher than the customers, on a platform behind the counter. i ask the man who is selling the food where i can find a taxi and he points crossly to the row of taxis. they are black cabs. i go over but all the cab drivers are eating and are not for hire. one points to where the taxi rank is.

i go over there and as i reach it i see a long queue. i join the back feeling exhausted. eventually i get to the new flat. i go in through the basement entrance. my husband is there already and shows me in. the room is scruffy and basic but ok. mike is not going to be living here with me but has come for the night. i start to put my stuff down. he shows me the rest of the flat - through a hallway there is a large living room with french windows out onto a leafy garden, then a bedroom and a kitchen. it is all very scruffy but homely. mike goes out to get something from the shops and i wander around. the kitchen is painted in nice rich colours, the gloss is dark and the walls are bright. there is vinyl on the floor which has a lovely pattern on it but has big tears in it which would trip someone up. i decide when i get back from russia i will buy rugs to cover the tears.

just then i see a cat in the garden. it is a tabby cat. my dog (who has appeared but was not with me in the taxi) is looking fixedly out of the window.i know he will suddenly leap at the cat and may break the glass. i notice there is also a cat inside the room. its a ginger cat which is sitting calmly looking at my dog. he roars at the cat in the garden and bashes into the window. just then the ginger cat makes a huge leap and lands on my dog's back, digging its claws in hard. he squeals and runs around. i manage to get the cat off and bundle it out into the garden, holding my dog's collar to stop him going out. i shut the door. my dog has beads of blood coming through his coat. he is quite badly cut and i decide i need to get him to the vet for a jab and anti-biotics as cat scratches go mouldy easily.

then i am going to bed. at this point i am alone. the bedroom has two small zed beds made up in it. my box of things to take to russia is under mine. i want the window open but it is the ground floor and i am nervous. (usually i would not be because of my dog - i am not sure if he is still in the dream at this point or if i think because he is ill he won't protect me) i play around with the window. it is flimsy and has a sliding pane with some flimsy bolts. i secure it as best i can. i get into bed.

then my husband is in the other bed. we are both covered by pretty flimsy quilts. i say "its a good job i booked the flight for tomorrow and not today, i am shattered". we chat a bit then go to sleep.

1 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

Now that, That was so surreal.

3:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home