Friday, January 05, 2007

sitting on mum's lap (1)



this picture is of me sitting on my mum's lap when i was about 18 months old. i am in one of those very pretty dresses that people used to put little girls in. she is reading to me - i can't see what the book is. i seem to be distracted by someone else - not the photographer. my mum looks beautiful - i remember the necklace she is wearing. it was made of glass beads which i think were probably venetian glass. the dress is a typical pattern that she wore, rich jewel-like colours. we are sitting in my dad's chair. it was a green parker-knoll chair which had a winged back.

mum looks as though she is nothing to do with me in this picture. this may have been just a fluke of the camera. but somehow the woman and the child feel miles apart.

2 Comments:

Blogger kaidha said...

ur mum sure looks as u are invisible
so engrossed in her book
or mayb trying hard to ignore u
u sure had a rocky choldhood

10:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These two photographs certainly provoke remarkable reflections. Who is absent to whom? the mother, the child, the photographer? and as you've remarked elsewhere, what is in their minds? something here, or beyond? I'm glad your mother had Ron for a while and had moments of happiness. I'm glad your son has you.

9:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home